Children’s Garden Volunteer Position
Queens Botanical Garden is an urban oasis where people, plants and cultures are celebrated through inspiring gardens, innovative educational programs and demonstrations of environmental stewardship.
Queens Botanical Garden (QBG) is a private non-profit cultural institution located on 39 acres of New York City public land in Flushing, New York. Queens Botanical Garden’s HSBC Children’s Garden enables children ages 5-12 the opportunity to plant, maintain, and harvest vegetables, herbs, and flowers in an outdoor learning environment. Children engage in various methods of gardening and explore their surrounding environment through hands-on activities about birds, insects, trees, solar energy, water conservation, and composting. These unpaid positions offer a unique opportunity for individuals with interests in horticulture, education, environmental sustainability and/or non-profit organization.
• Planting, preparation, and maintenance of the Children’s Garden
• Working with children and facilitating lessons during spring programming
• May assist with creation and implementation of environmental education curriculum
• Preparing materials before weekly programming and assisting in cleanup at the end of programming
Ideal candidates will:
• Be at minimum a junior in high school or at least 16 years of age
• Display interest in education, botany, environmental studies or related field
• Be knowledgeable of basic small-scale fruit and vegetable gardening
• Be comfortable working in an outdoor environment
• Be able to work weekends, as mentioned below
• Have experience working with children
• Have desire to lead, motivate and excite children in above-mentioned fields
• Be self-motivated with the ability to work comfortably both alone and in groups
Dates and Times
• Spring 2014 program: Saturday mornings, April 5th – June 14th, 10 Saturdays total
• Half day weekday training in mid-March.
To apply, email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please.